The Easter holiday is upon us! To enjoy holiday treats without gaining a pound, here are my top picks:
- Chocolate-Covered Marshmallow Eggs – The ones in Russell Stover’s 12-egg carton are just 85 calories each (170 calories for 2 eggs). The individually-wrapped larger ( 2” long) ones are just 110 calories each.
- Chocolate-Covered Coconut or Maple Crème-Filled Eggs – Russell Stover’s individually-wrapped eggs ( 2” long) come in at just 110-120 calories each.
- Lindt’s Little Gold-Wrapped Bunnies - 55 calories each with 5 per package.
- Hollow Chocolate Bunnies and Eggs - These treates are 150 calories per ounce. Enjoy an ounce a day! Check out Russell Stover’s 160-calorie 4″ tall hollow bunny. This compares to the solid chocolate bunny for 230 calories.
- Lindt’s Chocolate Mini-Eggs - 30 calories each and Cadbury’s mini-eggs are just 15 calories.
- Nestle’s Crunch Chocolate Eggs – About 35-45 calories each (5 pieces of 4 mixed types total 180-210 calories).
- Chocolate-Covered Peppermint Patties - Check out the ones in spring- colored wrappings. They are just 50 calories each.
- Hershey’s Chocolate Kisses – 22 calories each. Enjoy a handful of 5 for just 110 calories.
And don’t forget colorful jelly beans. These little sweet treats are just 3 calories each.
Of course your own colored Easter eggs are a true nutritional gem – just 75 calories, packed with super nutrition, and fun to crack and eat. Eat these first…they will help manage your sweet-tooth!
Try to keep chocolate treats at 100-200 calories a day over the holiday weekend.
For more chocolate ideas year-long, check out my list of 75 best choices in The Cooper Clinic Solution to the Diet Revolution: Step Up to the Plate (2009). My guidebook of tips makes healthy eating fun and more manageable. See www.georgiakostas.com
This nutrition information does not address individual health conditions. Please consult with your physician or registered dietitian to meet specific health and dietary needs.