Spring is a perfect time to clean out your pantry and refrigerator and freshen up your eating!
7 ways to get you started:
2. Serve fresh vegetables with hummus, bean dip, light Ranch or a Greek yogurt-based dip.
3. Eat 3 fresh sliced fruit daily – melons, berries, pineapple, oranges, apples, and bananas, grapes – as part of meals, snacks, appetizers and dessert.
4. Enjoy lean protein such as seafood, poultry without skin, lean beef or pork cuts. Just add a little seasoning and olive oil for flavor.
5. Choose 100% whole grain breads and cereals, brown rice, steel-cut oats, corn, homemade popcorn, barley, whole-wheat crackers. These supply fiber and crucial nutrients.
6. Try Greek yogurt, which has twice the protein and more calcium than other yogurts.
7. Get creative with nuts! Try pistachio snacks, almonds on salads, or walnuts in cereal. The type of fat and nutrients in 3 Tbsp of nuts each day improves artery health, lipids, diabetes and reduces the risk of heart disease.
Clean up your diet by adding just one more vegetable, one more fruit, and one more whole grain daily. Eating clean will help put spring in your step!
For more resources and advice, visit http://www.georgiakostas.com. You can also follow me on Twitter @georgiakostas or like my Facebook Fan Page, Georgia Kostas Nutrition.