- 1 lb bagged beans (15-16 types)
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey (90% fat free)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 large cloves of garlic, diced ( or 1 tablespoon minced garlic, purchased)
- 1 large onion, peeled, sliced into chunks (2 cups)*
- 5 large carrots, cleaned, peeled, sliced into chunks (2 cups)*
- 6 celery stalks, cleaned, sliced into chunks (2 cups)*
- 4-8 cups kale leaves, washed, loosed packed, cut into thin strips
- Optional: jalapeno or serrano pepper, de-seeded and sliced (or canned)
- 2 quarts of chicken broth
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (add at end)
* You could also use a frozen veggie mix.
1. Night before: Sort beans in colander and rinse to remove dirt. Transfer to a large pot and soak beans overnight in a large pot of water.
2. Next morning or night before: Clean and cut all vegetables into similar sized chunks, so they cook evenly. Throw out soaking water and retain beans to transfer to a crockpot.
2. In a crockpot, cover bottom with oil (to prevent food from sticking). Add all ingredients and beans.
4. Stir and simmer 6-8 hours. During last 15 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to add a zesty flavor.