Election Day is finally upon us. If you’re glued to your TV watching the election results roll in, you may be up late snacking. Make this election night a healthier, winning one for you by planing ahead and opting for healthier choices under 200 calories. Great options include:
- Fresh fruit, such as sliced crunchy apples, pineapple, cantaloupe and red grapes
- Protein-rich edamame beans, steamed, in pods
- Homemade old fashioned stove top Popcorn – heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil for 1 minute in a tall pot and add 1/2 cup kernels. Cover the pot with a lid and within 3-5 minutes, listen to the popping! Add grated Parmesan or seasonings you like, such as garlic powder or onion powder. If butter is needed, melt one tablespoon for the entire batch. Stir and enjoy.
- KIND bars
- Sliced tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil or consider grape tomatoes
- Blend of Kashi Go Lean Crunch, almonds, and dried fruit
- A handful of almonds, walnuts, pistachios or peanuts (the size of a jigger glass)
- Light string cheese
- Baby carrots dipped in hummus
- Make your own nut mix with peanuts or walnuts and dried cranberries or golden raisins
- Raspberries or strawberries mixed in Greek or Icelandic yogurt with a drizzle of honey
To make it easier to choose these options, follow these tips:
- Put healthy snacks within reach so when you are hungry, they are right there, fast and easy to grab.
- Portion-size your snacks yourself. Remove them from a larger box or bag; choose a reasonable amount and re-baggie them. This way you can see and control how much you are eating.
- Remember to keep hydrated with water – some of your hunger could be related to dehydration. Pour a tall glass of cool water.
- Eat slowly. Savor each bite. Fast eating means faster calories, and these add up quickly.
Enjoy winning by not over-eating! You will sleep better, no matter the election results.